Salil Gupta, MD
- Clinical Assistant Professor NYU School of Medicine
- Chief, Division Hand Surgery North Shore-LIJ Forest Hills Hospital
Dr. Salil Gupta was born in New York City and grew up in Long Island, New York. He graduated Brown University Magna Cum Laude with a B.A. in Political Science and was elected into Phi Beta Kappa.
Dr. Gupta attended the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, during which time he was awarded an Urban Health Care Fellowship and elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society. Upon completion of medical school, he obtained his residency training in Orthopaedic Surgery at NYU-Hospital for Joint Diseases. During his residency, he completed specialized training in trauma surgery at Seattle's Harborview Medical Center. Dr. Gupta completed his Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery Fellowship at St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital's C.V. Starr Hand Surgery Center. He also completed a specialized fellowship in Pediatric Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital. Dr. Gupta serves as a Clinical Assistant Professor at the NYU School of Medicine as well as an active member of the Hand Service at the Hospital for Joint Diseases.
Dr. Gupta is Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery and is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery. His research has been presented at multiple international and national meetings and has been published in numerous peer-reviewed journals, including the Journal of Hand Surgery, Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery and the Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma.
Dr. Gupta is accepting new patients and accepts almost all insurance plans.
In 2019 Dr. Salil Gupta won the Castle Connolly Top Doctors award
C.V. Starr Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship
St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center
C.V. Starr Hand Surgery Center, New York, NY
August 2004 – February 2006
- Pediatric Hand and Upper Extremity Fellow
Texas Scottish Rite Hospital, Dallas, TX
November 2004 – February 2005
New York University/ Hospital for Joint Diseases Orthopaedic Institute Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, New York, NY
July 2000 - July 2004
New York University/ Hospital for Joint Diseases Orthopaedic Institute New York, NY
June 1999 - July 2000
- Medical School:
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
M.D. May 1999, August 1995 – May 1999
Brown University, Providence, RI
B.A. Political Science May 1995, August 1991 – May 1995
- High School:
The Wheatley School, Old Westbury, NY
September 1987 – June 1991
- Clinical Assistant Professor,NYU School of Medicine Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2006 - Present
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Attending Physician, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU-Hospital for Join Diseases, NY, NY
- Chief, Division of Hand Surgery, Attending Physician, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, North Shore-LIJ Forest Hills Hospital, Queens, NY
- Attending Physician, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Medical School: Alpha Omega Alpha, Lambda Chapter, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1998
- Urban Health Care Fellowship, Mount Sinai School of Medicine Summer 1996. Studied health care in urban clinics in Bogotá, Columbia.
- Undergraduate: Phi Beta Kappa, Rhode Island Chapter, Brown University, 1995
- Magna Cum Laude, Brown University, 1995
- High School:National Honor Society, The Wheatley School, 1989
- Volunteer Service Award, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, NY, 1993
- Sun L, Park BK, Gupta S, Capo JT, Yoonm RS, Liporace FA. Anatominc Variant of the Inferior Cutaneous Branch of the Radial Nerve During the Posterior Approach to the Humerus: a Case Report. Patient Saf Surg. 2015 May 14;9:16.
- Chaudhry S, Gould S, Gupta S. High - Pressure Paint Gun Injection Injury to the Palm. Am J Orthop. 2013; 42(8): 379-382.
- Gupta S, Michelson-Jost, H. Anatomy and Function of the Thenar Muscles. Hand Clinics 28 (2012) Feb; 28(1):1-7.
- Bharucha, NJ; Alaia, MJ; Paksima,, N; Christoforou, D; Gupta, S. An Aggressive Group A Streptococcal Cellulitis of the Hand and Forearm Requiring Surgical Debridement. Orthopedics 2011 Jan; 34(1):57-57.
- Liporace F, Kinchelow T, Gupta S, Kubiak E, McDonnell M. Minifragment Screw Fixation of Oblique Metacarpal Fractures: A Biomechanical Analysis of Screw Types and Techniques. Hand 2008 Dec;3(4):311-315.
- Glickel SZ, Gupta S, Catalano LC. Decision Making and Operative Tactics for Ulnar Nerve Compression at the Elbow. Accepted for publication in Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery.
- Glickel SZ, Gupta S. Ligament Reconstruction. Hand Clin 22 (2006); 143-151.
- Catalano LC, Gupta S, Ragland R, Glickel SZ, Johnson C, Barron, OA. Closed Treatment of Non-Rheumatoid Extensor Tendon Dislocations at the Metacarpophalangeal Joint. J Hand Surg 2006; 31A: 242-245.
- Liporace FA, Gupta S, Jeong GK, Stracher M, Kummer F, Egol KA, Koval KJ. A Biomechanical Comparison of a Dorsal 3.5mm T-Plate and a Volar Fixed-Angle Plate in a Model of Dorsally Unstable Distal Radius Fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2005 Mar; 19(3): 187-91.
- Specht LM, Gupta S, Egol KA, Koval KJ. Heterotopic Ossification of the Quadriceps Following Distal Femoral Traction: A Report of Three Cases and a Review of the Literature. J Orthop Trauma 2004; 18:241-246.
- Gilbert MS, Berson L., Gupta S, Cox K, Forster A. Arthroscopic Synovectomy of the Knee in Hemophilia: Long-Term Follow. Abstract Published in Haemophilia: Abstracts of the XXIIIth World Federation of Hemophilia, vol. 4, No. 3, 17-21 May 1998.
- Liporace FA, Gupta S, Stracher MA, Kummer FJ, Egol K, Koval KJ. A Biomechanical Comparison of a Dorsal 3.5mm T-Plate and a Volar Fixed-Angle Plate in a Model of Dorsally Unstable Distal Radius Fractures. (Poster – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, San Francisco, CA – March 2004)
- Liporace FA, Gupta S, Stracher MA, Kummer FJ, Egol K, Koval KJ. A Biomechanical Comparison of a Dorsal 3.5mm T-Plate and a Volar Fixed-Angle Plate in a Model of Dorsally Unstable Distal Radius Fractures. (Poster & Presentation at Basic Science Forum – Orthopaedic Trauma Association, Salt Lake City, Utah – October 2003)
- Liporace FA, Gupta S, Stracher MA, Kummer FJ, Egol K, Koval KJ. A Biomechanical Comparison of a Dorsal 3.5mm T-Plate and a Volar Fixed-Angle Plate in a Model of Dorsally Unstable Distal Radius Fractures. (Poster at American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH)– September 2003)
- Gilbert MS, Gupta S, Cox K. Long-Term Follow-Up and Evaluation of Arthroscopic Knee Synovectomies/Meniscectomies in Patients with Hemophilia. Presented at the 5th Musculoskeletal Congress of the World Federation of Hemophilia. Amsterdam, Netherlands, July 1998.
- Gilbert MS, Gupta S. Long-Term Follow-Up and Evaluation of Elbow Synovectomies in Patients with Hemophilia. Presented at the 4th Musculoskeletal Congress of the World Federation of Hemophilia, Madrid, Spain, April 6-9, 1997.
- Teaching Assistant for Anatomy at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1996-1997
- Teaching Assistant for Histology at Brown University School of Medicine, 1994
- Teaching Assistant for Physiology at Brown University, 1993 - 1995
- Clinical Assistant Professor NYU-Hospital for Joint Disease Department of Orthopedic Surgery
Resident's Basic Fracture Course – Orthopedic Trauma Association
San Antonio, TX. October 11-14, 2000
Microsurgery Research and Training Course
Columbia University, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
New York, NY. June 2005
- Carpal Fractures, Grand Rounds C.V. Starr Hand Surgery Center, Roosevelt Hospital, April 2010
- Carpal Fractures, Orthopaedic Hand Service Grand Rounds, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, January 2009
- Compressive Neuropathies of the Upper Extremity, Neurology Department Grand Rounds, New York Methodist Hospital, October 2008
- Hand Truama and Emergeny Room Management. Combined Orthopaedic and Emergency Department Grand Rounds, St. Vincent’s Hospital, August 2006
- Common Hand Problems. Community Medicine Department Grand Rounds, Community Medicine Department Conference Room, April 2006
- SLAC Wrist and Digital Nerve Grafts, Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds, Roosevelt Hospital, March 2005
Tight Thumbs in the Pediatric Hand, Hand Grand Rounds, Roosevelt Hospital, February 2005
- Tight Thumbs in the Pediatric Hand, Hand Grand Rounds, Texas Scottish Rite Hospital, January 2005
- Lunatomalacia: Kienböck’s Disease, Chief Resident Talk, Hospital for Joint Diseaes, April 2004
- Shoulder Arthrodesis and Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty, Chairman’s Conference, Hospital for Joint Diseases, April 2004
- Pediatric Ankle Fractures, Fracture Conference, Hospital for Joint Diseases,
- Elbow Fractures and Dislocations, Fracture Conference, Hospital for Joint Diseases, January 2002
- Carpal Fractures and Dislocations, Fracture Conference, Hospital for Joint Diseases, February 2001
- Isolated PCL Injuries, Sports Medicine Conference, Hospital for Joint Diseases, October 2001
- Compartment Syndrome, Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds, Jamaica Hospital, November 2000
- Intertrochanteric and Subtrochanteric Fractures, Fracture Conference, Hospital for Joint Diseases, July 2000
LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATION:
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
The University of the State of New York Education Department #218753
- Completed Part I of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery July 9, 2004;
- Completed Part II of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery September 2008
- Completed Part II of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery September 2008
- Part I (1997) Part II (1998) Part III (2000) License for Medicine and Surgery, August 2000 (present). License
ASSOCIATIONS and MEMBERSHIPS:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand- Candidate Member, February 2005 - Present
- Littler-Eaton Society- February 2006 - Present
- New York Medical Society
New York, NY 10003
Phone: (212) 400-6633
Fax: (212) 260-5260
95-25 Queens Blvd. 2nd Floor
Rego Park, NY 11374
Phone: (212) 400-6633
Fax: (212) 260-5260
- Mr David Hargreaves. ...
- Ms Alice Bremner-Smith. ...
- Professor Amit Tolat. ...
- Mr Brian Cohen. ...
- Associate Professor Bo Povlsen. ...
- Mr Sam Gidwani. ...
- Mr Mark Pickford. Consultant Plastic Surgeon (Hand Surgery) ...
- Professor Mohamed A. Imam.
Brij Bhushan Joshi was one of the pioneers of hand surgery not only in India but also was renowned for his knowledge, ingenuity and innovativeness the world over. Dr. Joshi started his medical education at the prestigious K.E.M.
Ask if your surgeon possesses a Subspecialty Certificate in Surgery of the Hand. Ask if your surgeon is trained in Orthopedics and devotes his/her practice 100% to treatment of the hand, wrist, and elbow. Ask if your surgeon is a full member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH).
- Professor Mohamed Imam. Orthopaedic Surgery. ...
- Mr Dimitri Yanni. Orthopaedic Surgery. ...
- Mr Sam Gidwani. Orthopaedic Surgery. ...
- Mr Henry Colaco. Orthopaedic Surgery. ...
- Mr Abhinav Gulihar. Orthopaedic Surgery. ...
- Mr Dariush Nikkhah. Plastic Surgery. ...
- Mr Nashat Siddiqui. ...
- Mr Simon Owen-Johnstone.
|1||Dr. SKS Marya||Medanta The Medicity|
|2||Dr. Abhijit Dey||Max Super Specialty Hospital Saket|
|3||Dr. Prateek Arora||Max Super Specialty Hospital Saket|
|4||Dr. Subhash Jangid||Fortis Memorial Research Institute|
Alejandro Badia answers your questions. Dr. Badia is an internationally renowned orthopedic surgeon and an innovative leader in the treatment of osteo-arthritis, trauma and other painful or diseased conditions of the hand & wrist (expert in thumb-related injuries), elbow and shoulder.
- Dr. Narender Kumar Magu. Orthopaedic Surgeon. ...
- Dr. Jayant Arora. Orthopaedic Surgeon. ...
- Dr. Yatinder Kharbanda. Orthopaedic and Joint Replacement Surgeon. ...
- Dr. Ram Chidambaram. Orthopedician. ...
- Dr. Yuvraj Kumar. ...
- Dr. Sunil Shahane. ...
- Dr. ( Prof) Pradeep Bhosale. ...
- Dr. Suresh Bhoja Shetty.
Research the Hand Surgeon's Credentials and Reviews
You can look up a doctor's credentials and also see reviews from past patients. A hand surgeon should be board-certified and fellowship-trained to have the necessary training, skills, and experience to provide specialized care.
What Types of Treatments Do Hand Orthopedists Perform? While they are called orthopedic hand surgeons, they don't only use surgery to treat hand conditions. In fact, most orthopedic hand surgeons attempt to treat hand conditions in other ways first.
The Best Hand Surgeon in the World | Glenn D. Cohen, M.D.
Steve K. Lee is Chief of the Hand and Upper Extremity Service at Hospital for Special Surgery, a Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College and is an orthopedic surgeon at NewYork-Presbyterian Medical Center.
During carpal tunnel release, a surgeon makes an incision in the palm of your hand over the carpal tunnel ligament and cuts through the ligament to relieve pressure on the median nerve. The surgery may be done by making one incision on the palm side of the wrist, or by making several small incisions.
- SO. Dr. Stephen J. O Connell. Hand Surgery | Orthopedics. ...
- BF. Dr. Brian H. Fingado. Hand Surgery | Orthopedics. ...
- AO. Dr. Arthur L. Osterman. ...
- ZL. Dr. Zhongyu J. Li. ...
- AD. Dr. Angelo R. Dacus. ...
- MW. Dr. Michael D. Wigton. ...
- PS. Dr. Peter J. Stern. ...
- EA. Dr. Edward Akelman. Hand Surgery | Orthopedics.